[systemd-devel] How many times is the root mounted in boot up?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jun 9 16:14:39 PDT 2015

On Mon, 01.06.15 20:43, Mantas Mikulėnas (grawity at gmail.com) wrote:

> I find:
> > 1. systemd will generate a "-.mount" unit from /proc/self/mountsinfo
> > 2. systemd will generate a "-.mount" unit by systemd-fstab-generator
> >
> > Q:
> > * Which one takes priority?
>
> The latter, because it's a real unit, not just an in-memory representation
> of the current state.

Well, not quite. It's actually more complex. We will actually merge
information from both, but for the parts of it that are conflicting
the current one from /proc will win over the one from disk.

Specifically this means that "systemctl status /home" will show in the
"What:" line what is currenty *actually* mounted on /home, and not
what /etc/fstab says that *should* be mounted there...