[systemd-devel] Proposal: Add Drive Enclosure/Slot mapping to systemd

Jordan Hargrave jharg93 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 08:42:46 PST 2015

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> В Mon, 2 Mar 2015 09:48:51 -0600
> Jordan Hargrave <jharg93 at gmail.com> пишет:
>
> > It would be nice if systemd could discover and display enclosure/bay slot
> > mappings for drives in the system.  The /dev/disk/by-path method doesn't
> > quite work, for SAS drives the ID can change on hotplug.  The slot
> mapping
> > also doesn't handle PCIe SSD devices as they are bare block devices and
> > don't use SCSI midlayer.  Proposing to add support for something like
> > /dev/disk/by-enclosure/encl-XXX-slot-YYY symlink for block devices.
>
> How it should be discovered? Is there universal method that can be used
> on majority of systems?

For Dell system PCIE SSD it requires using ipmitool OEM command to get the
correct Bus:Device:Function to Enclosure:Slot mapping.  For devices using
SAS controllers it's a bit more tricky.  There is a sysfs variable for
enclosure/slot in sysfs for SAS devices with >8 drives on our servers.  The
driver for some reason doesn't export this info for Dell systems with < 8
drives.

Ideally there should be an enclosure.c device defined for every device
type.  Currently only ses.c seems to use this, but SCSI enclosure services
aren't available on SSDs.