[systemd-devel] Boot ordering

Dimitri John Ledkov dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com
Thu Mar 19 05:38:11 PDT 2015

On 19 March 2015 at 12:09, Christoph Pleger
<Christoph.Pleger at cs.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>>> So, if the original unit file multi-user.target contains
>>>
>>> After=basic.target rescue.service rescue.target
>>>
>>> this "after" does not really mean anything and jobs wanted or required
>>> by
>>> multi-user.target can already be started when some jobs from
>>> basic.target
>>> have not been started???
>>
>> Correct.
>> What is the the
>> problem you are trying to solve by "implementing a new 'intermediate'
>> runlevel" ?
>
> I want a program to be run at boot time without any other systemd services
> starting concurrently. The program needs the services from basic.target
> and may influence everything in multi-user.target and later targets, so I
> guess that between basic.target and multi-user.target is a good time for
> execution of the program.
>
> I hoped that this can be achieved by simply defining a new target, setting
> after basic.target dependencies for it and changing the dependencies of
> multi-user.target from basic.target to my new target. This would not
> require me too know anything about the specific services in basic.target
> and multi-user.target .

Sounds like you want to create intermediate.target, change
default.target to point at it, boot all the way up to
intermediate.target, and at that point isolate or start
multi-user.target.
If your default.target points at multi-user.target, there is no way to
prevent multi-user things from not running until after
itermediate.target.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.

Open Source Technology Center
Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ.