[systemd-devel] Boot ordering

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Mar 19 14:13:04 PDT 2015

Am 19.03.2015 um 22:04 schrieb Kai Krakow:
> Christoph Pleger <Christoph.Pleger at cs.tu-dortmund.de> schrieb:
>
>> I am experimenting a little with systemd and trying to define a new
>> "intermediate" runlevel, a runlevel between basic.target and
>> multi-user.target. This means that I want the services which are required
>> by my new runlevel to be started after all services from basic.target have
>> been started and to be finished before any service from multi-user.target
>> is started.
>
> I think there is still this sysvinit-related misconception that systemd
> target equal sysvinit runlevels.
>
> Systemd uses automatic ordering of units through socket activation and
> explicitly defined dependencies (which BTW most of the time are not needed).
> Thus, a target just defines which set of services you want to run asap.
> Multiple targets can become active in parallel, and systemd will try to
> reach them in parallel. All dependencies will be thrown into the same soup
> and systemd works its way through it

that is all fine but given that you don't know when a service is ready
to accept connections and the whole world don't turn around systemd it
is a legit need to control ordering sometimes strictly

boot performance is not the only important thing - better said on
servers it don't matter that much given you don't boot the machine all
day long - relieable boot in every context is much more important while
claiming everybody does soemthing wrong and systemd is right with it's
assumptions don't help much