[systemd-devel] RTNETLINK support for tuntap devices in systemd-networkd

Louis Feuvrier louis at feuvrier.org
Sun Mar 22 07:02:09 PDT 2015

Hi,

I could not find any previous discussions about this subject on this
mailing list after a quick search.

I have been watching the recording[1] of Tom Gundersen's talk at
FOSDEM15 and around 13:45 he talks about integrating RTNETLINK support
for tuntap devices. I wanted to know if this feature is still of
interest to you guys working on systemd-networkd.

I am also wondering how a continuous integration might work out: the
kernel mainline would probably support both ioctls and rtnetlink APIs.
Would this also be the case for systemd-networkd, as a means to support
older kernels?

The folks at iproute2 seemed to think supporting both APIs was redundant
and not interesting[2]. However, I feel like evolution of the APIs
cannot be done any other way with backward compatibility.

Any thoughts on these matters?

[1] http://video.fosdem.org/2015/
[2] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/26839/

--