[systemd-devel] Drop systemd-ui

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 00:31:31 PDT 2015

On 03/31/2015 02:30 AM, Shawn Landden wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 4:02 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
> <johannbg at gmail.com>  wrote:

>> >For systemd ui the *DE communities are better suited to implement, integrate
>> >and maintain an ui on top of systemd for their *DE.
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Logs
>
> I see the dbus type problems you are probably getting. Isn't this
> actually a bug in systemd as we are still exporting as systemd1? If we
> are incompatible shouldn't we be systemd2?

I'm not following, I'm not getting any bugs.

As far as I know Kay and Lennart wrote that ui as an proof of concept 4
years ago, to get people started on writing their own ui not as
something that should be carried or maintained in longterm in systemd.

Since then cockpit has emerged as an frontend to systemd as well as
kcmsystemd for KDE and atleast a journal log parser in Gnome.

What I'm proposing is that we dropped that proof of concept since it's
not being maintained, there exist better alternatives thus it's intended
purpose has been fulfilled already.

JBG