[systemd-devel] tentative state and unmount on mapper

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue May 19 03:43:52 PDT 2015

Lennart Poettering [2015-05-19 12:28 +0200]:
> > Note that it's a permanent state in containers where you don't
> > actually have udev.
>
> NO!
>
> Martin, as mentioned earlier: current systemd will not bother with
> device units at all in containers, and they hence will not be in
> "tentative" state either.

Ok ok :) -- FTR, I can't personally stop people from misconfiguring their
containers to have writable /sys, I'm just the messenger here.

But we've seen that there are other situations where exactly the same
situation applies (plan9 in VM, device mapper, etc.): I. e. we have a
real-iron machine or VM (writable /sys) with devices which aren't in
/dev, and thus end up being tentative. Making a container with
writable /sys is just a convenient way to reproduce/test this, I'm not
saying it's an actual use case we need to optimize for.

So please consider my previous reply to replace "container" with
"situations with a mounted device not being in /dev".

Sorry for the confusion!

Martin