[systemd-devel] How to wait for specific interface/IP?

Cristian Rodríguez crrodriguez at opensuse.org
Sat May 23 09:14:43 PDT 2015

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a simple way to make a service require that a specific network
> interface/IP address be active?

You have to wait for the *link* to be active, not for the interface..

> I have a manually set up bridge and dnsmasq configuration for my VM
> traffic, but dnsmasq is getting started before NetworkManager has
> configured the bridge and failing because it cannot bind to the bridge's
> IP address.

This is problem has more than one face..

1) Enable the NetworkManager-wait-online service
2) order dnsmasq after the network-online target.

But this is all a workaround.. you could configure dnsmasq not to fail
to bind on interfaces that are not yet available at the point the
daemon is started.