[systemd-devel] pre-release warnings? [was: 220 tarball erroneously ships keyboard-keys-from-name.gperf]

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue May 26 07:26:20 PDT 2015

Hello all,

Dimitri John Ledkov [2015-05-26 15:12 +0100]:
> Or will there be a v220.1 release shortly with releasy fix-ups?

Can we perhaps flip that around? I did a make dist/port our
patches/build packackages/run our tests round on May 11, but that was
before most of the recent "hiccups" landed in master. I'd rather love
to do that once I know that a release is around the corner, but as we
don't currently have "release is imminent" warnings none of the
packagers can do this as a pre-release exercise.

So Lennart: WDYT about announcing your intent to do a stable release
on the ML, and then us packagers can do a "make dist", test an actual
tarball, and thus find all these little tarball errors, udev
regressions and what not before the official release is cut?

At least for me, the biggest part of updating to a new release is to
rebase our ~ 50 patches; doing that against a near-release tarball
will be the same amount of work; running automatic tests is negligible
human effort, and running manual tests doesn't take that long for me
(that's the point which might vastly differ for other packagers -- but
then again, testing pre-release tarballs means that not much will
change any more until the real release, so the second time testing
will be faster).

Martin