[systemd-devel] systemctl disable <service> not working as expected

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Fri May 29 05:31:32 PDT 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Belal, Awais <Awais_Belal at mentor.com>
wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for the very quick reply :)
> So, are you saying that there is no guaranteed way in which PA can be
> enabled/disabled in a systemd based system?

pulseaudio is *very rarely* run as a system service in the first place.
Whether it's systemd-based or not is irrelevant.

Most often it's managed at session level, e.g. started during login by
gnome-session, sometimes `systemctl --user`, but usually launched
automatically by libpulse.

That too, if I want to keep the binary in so if a user needs he can
> enable/disable PA as per need. How can I disable PA in such a scenario?

You could set "autospawn = no" in pulse-client.conf(5).

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>