[systemd-devel] journalctl's http://localhost:19531/browse

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Nov 2 02:10:16 PST 2015

On Mon, 02.11.15 13:05, Kai Hendry (hendry at webconverger.com) wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Just playing around with the journalctl Web interface here:
> http://s.natalian.org/2015-11-02/journalctl.mp4
>
> How come messages like `logger foo` do not appear in
> http://localhost:19531/browse but they do in `journalctl -b -f`?

Note that the website will show only those accessible to the
"systemd-journal" group.

Did you run "logger" unprivileged? Did you run journalctl privileged?
That might explain the difference?

> Is the API for http://localhost:19531/ defined somewhere since I
> wouldn't mind creating my own Web interface with the JSON. Ideally the
> server could support text/event-stream like I demonstrate here:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmCDji3t7eg

It's not really documented, but it should be... it's fairly easy
though, and the default web page should explain most of it...

> I did notice `journalctl -o json-sse`, but you need a server to hand
> those off to the browser. How should that be done with libmicrohttpd ??

well, systemd-journal-gatewayd serves that already, you can just use that...