[systemd-devel] [packaging] split of systemd package

Lukáš Nykrýn lnykryn at redhat.com
Wed Nov 11 02:47:12 PST 2015

Hi,

During systemd.conf we have discussed some recommendation for
downstreams, how they could split systemd to subpackages, so lets
continue that discussion here.

Personally I don't think it makes sense to split the package to get a
smaller core package. Most of our binaries are just few KBs. Only
exception here is /usr/lib/udev/hwdb.d which, on fedora rawhide, has
about 5,2 MB (15% of the whole package).

Other aspect would be minimizing external dependencies. I have made a
list of libraries and which binaries pulls them in [1] and from that
point of view it would make sense to put follow binaries to subpackage:
systemd-pull
systemd-journal-gatewayd
systemd-journal-remote
systemd-journal-upload
systemd-firstboot
systemd-networkd

So I suggest following scheme

systemd
systemd-libs
systemd-devel
systemd-journal-remote (so gatewayd,remote,upload)
systemd-networkd (maybe also with resolved?)
systemd-machine (machined,nspawn,importd)
systemd-firstboot (firstboot,sysusers?,factory stuff?)
systemd-hwdb

Regards

Lukas

[1] https://gist.github.com/lnykryn/bd5de7d9ed39986d5147