[systemd-devel] [packaging] split of systemd package

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 07:43:51 PST 2015

On 11/11/2015 01:12 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> in case it's useful, this is how we split them in Debian.
>>
>> However, is this even a topic for upstream, apart from giving
>> recommendations? I. e. do you actually consider putting this kind of
>> split into the upstream build system à la "make install-<component>"?
> I brought this issue up during my talk and recommended that we
> (downstream distros) might collaborate on this so where possible we
> have more consistency across distros.
>
> Since systemd-devel is rather low-volume these days it seemed ok to
> have these discussions here.
> If Lennart would like to see it elsewhere, that's fine of course. But
> I actually value his feedback on this matter.

Arguable there should be a neutral ground somewhere (
systemd-cross-distro list of some sort ) where distribution can
collaborate on matters like this since there are other things that need
to be discussed and need to be sorted out other than just splitting
systemd into separated components.

Unit files for various daemon and services, naming of component which
can directly affect names of type units themselves, deprecation of
environmental files in units ( not sure how or if they are used in
Debian but in Fedora there exist /etc/sysconfig/foo files which have
become obsoleted for daemon and service with the introduction of systemd
) cross distro collaboration of integration of wide variety of systemd
components ( timer units, networkd etc ) so fourth and so on.

Hopefully the outcome of broader discussion like that would result in
mutual proposal where each participant distribution could present to
their distribution for distro wide acceptance and integration.

JBG