[systemd-devel] [packaging] split of systemd package

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Nov 12 01:27:02 PST 2015

Am 12.11.2015 um 09:46 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Wed, 11.11.15 12:58, Martin Pitt (martin.pitt at ubuntu.com) wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> in case it's useful, this is how we split them in Debian.
>>
>> However, is this even a topic for upstream, apart from giving
>> recommendations? I. e. do you actually consider putting this kind of
>> split into the upstream build system à la "make
>> install-<component>"?
>
> Nope, we won't do that.
>
>> Lukáš Nykrýn [2015-11-11 11:47 +0100]:
>>> Personally I don't think it makes sense to split the package to get a
>>> smaller core package. Most of our binaries are just few KBs.
>>
>> They are actually fairly big, 100 kB to 1.5 MB for systemd itself. I
>> think the main reason for that is that they all statically link
>> libsystemd instead of dynamically linking to libsystemd.so.0. Is there
>> a particular reason for that?
>
> Yes, there is. If we'd share the common code via a proper .so then
> we'd have to commit to a stable API for that, or bump the soname on
> every single release. We really don't want to do either. The internal
> stuff is stupposed to be internal, and not an API

that is no valid reasoning, the following postfix libs are *not* a
stable API and *not* supported to be used from 3rd party code, hence
they are not directly in /usr/lib64/

just because a internal .so exists don't make it to a API

postfix                   /usr/lib64/postfix/libpostfix-dns.so
postfix                   /usr/lib64/postfix/libpostfix-global.so
postfix                   /usr/lib64/postfix/libpostfix-master.so
postfix                   /usr/lib64/postfix/libpostfix-tls.so
postfix                   /usr/lib64/postfix/libpostfix-util.so