[systemd-devel] No maintenance shell on local fs failure (/bin/sh: no such file or directory)

Frank Steiner fsteiner-mail1 at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Mon Nov 23 05:22:30 PST 2015

Hi,

on one of my serves I have a LVM that, due to an error in my lvm.conf,
couldn't be mounted on boot. But I didn't get a  maintenance shell as
I usually got on other servers, the output just stopped after complaining
with
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-mapper-exportraidcu...tcurry2.device.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /export.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Systems.

So I debugged this and could grep the output from a serial console.
It seem that the rootfs vanishes at some point, because I see such
messages:

About to execute: /bin/echo -e 'Welcome to emergency mode! After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view\nsystem logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" to try again\nto boot into default mode.'
Forked /bin/echo as 4290
Failed at step CHDIR spawning /bin/echo: No such file or directory

and the same for /bin/sh etc. But earlier in the log all kinds of
commands are started from /bin and /usr/bin. I wasn't able to find
a message in the log indicating why the rootfs seems to disappear.
I attach the output, hoping that someone might be able to get a clue
what's going wrong. The fstab looks like this:

/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda1 / btrfs defaults 0 0
/dev/mapper/exportraidcurry-exportcurry2 /export btrfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sda5 /tmp btrfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sda6 /var btrfs defaults 0 0

where, for testing now, I just added the "2" to ...-exportcurry so that
the LVM doesn't exist.

I'd be very thankful for any hint pointing me to the right direction.
At the moment I've really no clue whats happening :-(

cu,
Frank
--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner   Web:  http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/