[systemd-devel] [help][227] Enabling a user service breaks a little my system!

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Nov 26 04:05:56 PST 2015

On 26/11/15 06:33, Jorge Araya Navarro wrote:
> $ LC_ALL=C systemctl --user
> Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory

Do you have a D-Bus session bus as a user service?

If you are using Debian or one of its derivatives like Ubuntu, install
the dbus-user-session package. This is probably what you want if you
like user services, but do read its Description first, because it
changes the interpretation of the D-Bus session bus system-wide.

If you are using Arch Linux, I think recent versions of their dbus
package make the session bus into a user service unconditionally.

If you are using some other distribution, talk to your distribution's
dbus and systemd maintainers. I would suggest that distributions that
are conservative about backwards-compatibility should package the user
session bits separately so that they are an opt-in (like I did in
Debian), and bleeding-edge/"legacy-free" distributions should just
enable them (like in Arch Linux).

If you are compiling your own dbus (>= 1.10), or you *are* your
distribution's dbus maintainer, the --enable-user-session configure
option is the one that makes the session bus into a user service. It
just installs some extra files: on Debian, we always enable that option,
but we split the files into the dbus-user-session package instead of
including them in the main dbus package.

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>