[systemd-devel] The $network LSB facility in initscripts

Michael Chapman mike at very.puzzling.org
Tue Sep 8 07:08:53 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I was looking into how the $network LSB facility name was handled by
systemd-sysv-generator, in particular with its interaction with
network-pre.target. I think the generator might be missing a couple of
cases.

Currently we have "Provides: $network" translated into:

   Before=network-online.target network.target
   Wants=network-online.target

Should this also generate:

   After=network-pre.target

to ensure that units ordered before this target are started before the
initscript?

Similarly, "X-Start-Before: $network" is currently translated to:

   Before=network-online.target

but should it also generate:

   Before=network-pre.target
   Wants=network-pre.target

?

I think both of these changes would be necessary for network-pre.target to
work properly when you've got initscripts with dependencies on $network.

- Michael