[systemd-devel] Condition and path (maybe timer too) restarts failed unit many times in a few seconds

Jakob Schürz wertstoffe at nurfuerspam.de
Wed Sep 30 12:43:07 PDT 2015

Hi there!

I have a strange behaviour on my Debian Jessie.

I found on the Archlinux-Forum a solution to send an email on a failed unit.

This works fine. BUT...

In my unit is "OnFailure=mailing.service" and
"ConditionPathExists=!/run/btrfs-balance-systemd.lock" which is a
lockfile, when it exists, the unit should fail.

How to say... it works, but i get 35 emails in 2 seconds, when this unit
is started by a timer, and the lockfile exists at this time.

Is this a bug? Or how can i find more information about this behaviour?

My systemd-version is

# dpkg -l|grep systemd
ii  libpam-systemd:amd64
215-17+deb8u2                        amd64        system and service
manager - PAM module
ii  libsystemd-dev:amd64
215-17+deb8u2                        amd64        systemd utility
library - development files
ii  libsystemd0:amd64
215-17+deb8u2                        amd64        systemd utility library
ii  libsystemd0:i386
215-17+deb8u2                        i386         systemd utility library
ii  python3-systemd                                             230-1+b1
                             amd64        Python 3 bindings for systemd
ii  systemd
215-17+deb8u2                        amd64        system and service manager
ii  systemd-sysv
215-17+deb8u2                        amd64        system and service
manager - SysV links
ii  systemd-ui                                                  3-2
                              amd64        graphical frontend for systemd

greez

Jakob