[systemd-devel] Should pam-activated systemd --user daemon quit after session has been closed?

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Fri Jan 22 14:19:11 PST 2016

Hi,

I have a following problem on my system and it has been bothering me for some time.

I use KDE Plasma 5 and lightdm as a display manager to login to the session. Once
logged in, the lightdm (I guess it's using pam_systemd.so) login service will also
start systemd user session and a session dbus daemon. The rest of Plasma follows.

The problem is, that whenever I log out from Plasma, the systemd user session isn't
terminated and as such leaves the user bus daemon and lots of services around, which
makes shutdown hang (if I initiated the shutdown, which will first initiate log out)
for some time (90 seconds by default until it's forcibly killed by systemd) which
I rather find annoying. I can see the systemd user session is the culprit, because
I can see "Waiting for session for user 1000 to terminate [timer]" or something
like that.

When I just log out, I can manually stop the systemd user session using loginctl
kill-user/kill-session (I am not sure which one I used last time), which will terminate
user bus and all the other services from that session.

Now, to the original question: Once PAM closes the session (once logout is received),
should systemd --user daemon terminate as well? Currently, that's not the case on my
system.

Let me know if I can provide any additional info.

Cheers