[Tango-artists] Session icons

Instance jon at instance-design.co.uk
Sat Dec 3 16:54:21 PST 2005

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 23:47:35 +0100, Manu Cornet <Manu.Cornet at GMail.com> wrote:
...snip...

> * What about them ? Is there anything I can do to make them more
> "Tango-compliant" ? I realize that they probably still need a bit of
> polishing before getting real, final icons of the right size.

I like the restart and shutdown ones. While there is already a shutdown icon
in the Tango set I think I probably prefer the one here, the existing one
doesn't convey the idea as well as a commonly regognised simble.

The logout button looks a bit funny though, probably because of the shine to it,
which most doors don't have :)

> * Do you have any idea for Hibernate and Suspend icons [1] ? I thought
> I'd make the Hibernate one blue because it could look like an ice cube
> or something, but other ideas are very welcome. I also thought of making
> one of these two have something like "Zzz" in it, but some people think
> users without any "cartoon" culture wouldn't necessarily understand.

I don't know what the Tango policy is on using colours as different states,
but how about the shutdown icon in green, amber, and red, showing different
degress of stopping.

I think the problem here is conveying the different types of shutting down to
non-technical users, since in a lot of cases the result seen is the same for all
of them - the screen turning off, and possibly the fans stopping.

Jon Wood