[Tango-artists] java update for version 0.6.1

Michael Heuer heuermh at acm.org
Fri Dec 9 16:10:44 PST 2005

Rodney Dawes wrote:

> Michael Heuer wrote:
>
> > Right, but they are listed as icons in the legacy-icon-mapping.xml
> > file. Just means the icon theme and the mapping utilities are a bit
> > out of sync?
>
> The icon-naming-utils are useful for more than just Tango. It is meant
> to list icons in the spec, as well as useful deprecated icons. It will
> most likely always list more icons than are available in the Tango icon
> theme itself. The goal for it is to be a simple utility, to allow other
> theme maintainers to port their theme to the Icon Naming Specification,
> while keeping it backward compatible, until we can fully migrate the
> desktops and applications to using the spec. For the purposes of your
> distribution of Tango, you probably don't need this, I guess? I am not
> really sure how all of the stuff you are doing works, technically. My
> guess is that you don't need the mapping for symlink creation.

Thanks for the clarification.

I had been using the icon mapping file as "the spec" from which to
generate code (unrelated to building the jar artifact) that uses the
contexts and icon names, but from now on will just use the file and
directory names in the icon .tar.gz.

To eliminate some of the mystery in building the jar artifact, I simply:

 - copy accessory files (README, AUTHORS, etc) to a project directory
 - copy icon files to the project resources directory
 - remove copied makefiles
 - update pom.xml with new version and updates to AUTHORS, if any
 - create jar artifact and upload bundle with maven:

$ mvn source:jar repository:bundle-create

 - create an upload ticket on the maven JIRA (issue tracking system)

The copying could be eliminated with some fancy cvs export commands if I
took the time to figure those out.

I would be willing to check my directory structure and the pom.xml file
into the tango project cvs if that would be helpful.  (or make it
available for a tango project developer to check in)

   michael