[Tango-artists] Glossy folders

Jakub Steiner jimmac at novell.com
Fri Nov 25 07:50:04 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 21:59 +0000, Tom Harris wrote:
> Why are the new blue folder icons glossy? I thought that only items
> that were shiny in real life were meant to be glossy...
>
> "Use glossy reflection only on objects that have a reflective surface
> in real life (plastic, glass, some metal, et cetera). A paper sheet
> certainly doesn't have such attribute."

Short answer:
Because kde, osx and now even vista people like it that way :).

Longer answer:
I haven't seen a glossy sheet of paper, but I did see glossy plastic
folders of various colors. Even the old grey folder has a glossy
refrection if look closely. It's not something I like, it's quite
overused, but Tango is about finding common ground between styles and if
everybody leans towards colorful glossy folders...

In addition, folders are highly likely to be customized by vendor. IF
you prefer the older folders you can do something similar. Check out
0.4.0, take the folders and create a theme with only the folders,
inheriting from Tango.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac at novell.com>