[Tango-artists] Tango-style icon for Rhythmbox?

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Mon Apr 17 15:23:14 PDT 2006

Well, previous icons that have had 'real world component' elements always
have such tiny details on them that I think they get confusing at 48x48 (see
old rhythmbox icons); I'm not sure how much of that you could show.  Plus
I'm of the opinion that although device icons ought to look like physical
objects, software apps don't need to and might sometimes be more confusing
when they are.

For instance, rhythmbox does not perform the same functions as a boombox.
There's music with both, but after that they diverge -- some things the
software does have no hw equivalent, and there's a lot the hw does that the
software doesn't (I mean, RB doesn't even play CDs, fer cryin out loud.  Or
FM radio -- are we cave men???).  On the other hand, you're quite right that
the black box is pretty unimaginative. Maybe something simple would help,
like a knob on the side.

Nate

On 4/17/06, Daniel Derozier <dcubed20 at gmail.com > wrote:

> I think you should replace the "box" with a boom box-style stereo, but
> still keeping the focus of the icon on the EQ bars. It looks really good.
>
> Dan
>

> On 4/17/06, Nathan Willis <nwillis at glyphography.com> wrote:
> >
> > See, I've always imagined something that tied-in to the name of the app
> > at least a little; see attached mockup (it's rough, I know that.  the EQs
> > are in separate little bars just cuz I was moving them around to toy with
> > the silhouette).
> >
> > Nate
> >
> > On 4/16/06, Simon Otter < simon at otter.se> wrote:

> > > can

> > > improving

> > > I might take a shot at it. Although I'm a bit clueless on ideas.
> > > Maybe you could make a vinyl-type thingie. Rythmbox sounds abit
> > > DJ-ish.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > >   S i m o n    O t t e r
> > >
> > >   ----------------------