[Tango-artists] grayscale notification area icons.

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Thu Aug 3 04:17:32 PDT 2006

On Jul 24, 2006, at 10:36 PM, Frej Soya Rasmussen wrote:

> I was wondering if the notification area icons would be nicer if they
> were limited to grayscale (ala os x).

Agreed -- I think it should be a general principle that the less you
need to pay attention to an icon while it's open, the duller it should
be. So for example, panel icons should be almost all grayscale, because
they're visible almost all the time. Similarly, video player icons
should be black or dark grey, because most of the time when they're
visible you're wanting to look at something near them (the video)
rather than be distracted by the icons themselves.

> Is there any guidelines for notification area icons?

Only an early draft, making the same suggestion you did. :-)
<http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/draft_hig_new/desktop-
notification-area.html#desktop-notification-appearance>

(I'm told the very old KDE guidelines are currently being rewritten,
but I haven't seen any draft.)

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/