[Tango-artists] grayscale notification area icons.

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Thu Aug 3 07:21:12 PDT 2006

IMO, greyscale "notification area" icons doesn't make sense in the
context of GNOME. It makes sense for apple because they have a clear
separation between the menubar and the dock. In GNOME, we don't even
have a menubar. It's a single panel that one can move around and place
pretty much anywhere they want on the edge of the screen. The only way
to have all icons on the panel be greyscale, is to have all icons in
the theme, also be greyscale. And I think people are more or less
actively looking for reasons to make the panel icons be greyscale,
rather than actively needing them to be, because apple has menubar
items that are 2-color, and are themed with the font colors. In fact,
the "notification area icons" in OS X aren't greyscale at all. They
are bouncing app icons in the dock. The ones that are greyscale, are
the ones people keep claiming shouldn't be in the notification area
in GNOME anyway, since they're ever-present status icons, like
NetworkManager.

Ah, irony.

-- dobey