[Tango-artists] How do the GTK stock icons work?

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Wed Aug 9 07:31:28 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 14:58 +0200, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 14:14 +0200, Tobias Wolf wrote:
> > Salve,
> >
> > I wanted to replace the stock action "edit" with my own (humble)
> > version, because it stands out in many places, e.g., on the new Nautilus
> > location entry toggle. However I cannot figure out how to do it. Simply
> > replacing stock_edit.png in g-i-t shows no effect.
> >
> > I’ll attach the icons, but they’re merely remixed from existing
> > Tango/git2 icons.
>
> Howdy.
> I wouldn't be agains adding this sort of icon into the action context.
> How does document-edit sound, Rodney?

I don't think we should have a document-edit. The attached icon for
example, doesn't make much sense for images, audio, or similar file
types. And it doesn't make sense for where Tobias is intending to use
this icon, which is a button to toggle the location entry bar in the
Nautilus browser window, which has nothing to do with editing a
document. In reality the "go-jump" icon probably makes more sense in
the context of where it's used in nautilus. And I don't think we need
an edit icon for documents. It just seems like something we should try
to move away from having.

That said, it might not be a bad idea to have a gtk-edit icon in the
themes as part of the migration path, for now, for the cases where it
actually sort of almost makes sense in the UI.

-- dobey