[Tango-artists] Request for icons

Matt Chaput matt at sidefx.com
Wed Aug 9 12:30:20 PDT 2006

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> I really hate the idea of a button
> saying "OK" anyway, as it's an abbreviated form of an English word, and
> we end up with poor translations because of it, not to mention that it's
> used a lot of times when things aren't necessarily okay.

Just to be pedantic, "OK" came first, so "okay" is an expansion, rather
than "OK" being an abbreviation.

OK is one of those etymological mysteries, like "the whole nine yards."
Nobody agrees exactly where it came from or why it came about.

The weird thing about OK in terms of translation is that I've heard
people all over the world, speaking all kinds of languages, say "OK" as
adopted slang. That's the power of American cultural imperialism! ;)

None of which is related to icons or the point. Sorry!

Matt