[Tango-artists] Suggestion for names for extra drive and media icons

Niko Mirthes nmirthes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 16:41:44 PST 2006

On Saturday 21 January 2006 7:22 pm, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> When discussing the need for an icon for flash media (bug 5647), it was
> suggested to assemble a list of media icons that would fall outside the
> core set. This is the beginning of such a list.
>
> Since a part of the tango project is to bring order to the chaos that is
> icon names, I'm feeling a bit uneasy about a set of icons that are
> specific to tango (i.e. the tango-extras). Instead, I have another
> suggestion.
>
> As an addition to the standard icon naming specification, we have a
> second list of icon names. The names in this list are optional, in the
> sense that applications can not rely on them being present on any
> system. To have a consistent behaviour, the list also specifies a
> fallback icon from the base icon set. This fallback is used when the
> desired icon can not be found. Not sure how this should interact with
> theme inheritence though.
>
> Anyhoo, here's the first couple of entries for such a list. The
> media-flash icon might be difficult to find a good metaphor for.
> Provided the other media-flash-icons exist it might even be superfluous.
>

> == Drives ==
>
> Name:				Fallback:
>
> drive-cdrom-usb			drive-cdrom
> drive-cdrom-ieee1394		drive-cdrom
> drive-cdrom-scsi		drive-cdrom
>
> drive-harddisk-usb		drive-harddisk
> drive-harddisk-ieee1394		drive-harddisk
> drive-harddisk-scsi		drive-harddisk
>
> drive-removable-media-usb	drive-removable-media
> drive-removable-media-ieee1394	drive-removable-media
> drive-removable-media-scsi	drive-removable-media
>
> == Media ==
>
> Name:				Fallback:
>
> media-cdrom-cda			media-cdrom
> media-cdrom-cdr			media-cdrom
> media-cdrom-cdrw		media-cdrom
>
> media-dvd			media-cdrom
> media-dvd-dvda			media-cdrom
> media-dvd-dvdram		media-cdrom
> media-dvd-dvdrplus		media-cdrom
> media-dvd-dvdrminus		media-cdrom
> media-dvd-dvdrwplus		media-cdrom
> media-dvd-dvdrwminus		media-cdrom
>
> media-bluray			media-cdrom
> media-hddvd			media-cdrom
>
> media-flash			media-removable-media
> media-flash-compactflash	media-removable-media
> media-flash-smartmedia		media-removable-media
> media-flash-sdmmc		media-removable-media
> media-flash-memorystick		media-removable-media
> media-flash-xd			media-removable-media
>
> media-smartcard			media-removable-media
>
> media-zip			media-removable-media
> media-jar			media-removable-media

Hi Pierre,

After speaking with a couple of KDE 4's Oxygen icon set authors, I mentioned
this issue (the number of icon names in the spec won't cover the sheer number
of required icons in some desktop environments) in #tango on freenode. Rodney
responded that an extended list is probably the best way to resolve the
problem, since he'd rather keep the list of icon names in the spec
manageable. Some questions remain, though.

May I suggest reposting this mail to the xdg mailing list? I think it's
important that people realize that this spec is not intended to be specific
to the Tango Desktop Project. The only way we'll see feedback and ideas is by
using a neutral forum for topics like this.

By the way, the spec can now be found along with the other specifications at
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards and the recommended mailing list
for discussion is xdg at freedesktop.org.

Take care,
        Niko