[Tango-artists] some suggestions

Jakub Steiner jimmac at ximian.com
Fri Jul 7 04:36:18 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 13:24 +0400, Sacrat wrote:
> Greets to all project participants.
>
> I've been looking for a decent Linux icon theme (different from Jimmac's
> and Everaldo works) for quite a long and now I think there's at least
> something interesting.
>
> Still, I'd liked to ask few questions about Tango project before
> actually starting drawing anything.
>
> 1. What about different versions of the same icon? For example, I do
> dislike the look of folder icons and think that something looking closer
> to Jimmac's style would fit it better? I know, some would argue. So, how
> can we keep multiple versions of one icon together without splitting the
> project?

Howdy!
The Tango project is not about creating one theme-to-rule-them-all. It's
about providing an icon style so a developer knows how his application
should look to feel 'native' on the linux desktop. You are more than
welcome to create a custom theme that follows the Tango style guidelines
and has the folders that suit your/your distro's needs. In fact you
won't be the first. SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop ships with such a
theme [1]. Ubuntu's Tangerine is another example [2]. And there's also
the gnome-icon-theme with disctinct folders [3].

> 2. Some icons in the gallery look blurred (i.e. the author has put the
> line not exactly to the pixel or due to rendering issues or anything
> else): edit-redo, emblem-unreadable...
>  while others simply have different tints: face-plain, face-wink,
> user-trash, etc...
>
> I could take some optimization work on myself but I would liked to know
> the submission/approvement rules first.

Feel free to file specific bugs in the freedesktop.org bugzilla.
Attaching the fixed artwork would of course be greatly appreciated.

> 3. I'd also liked to make some design-related suggestions. Is this a
> right place for such things?

Absolutely. You are also free to chat with us on the #tango channel on
irc.freenode.net.

cheers

[1] http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php?i=NLD10-industrial
[2] http://xoomer.alice.it/bat/orango-tango/status.png