[Tango-artists] Facing direction of icons

Eugenia Loli-Queru eloli at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 14 18:49:42 PDT 2006

Could someone add guidelines regarding the "facing to" of the icons here?
http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines

Please note that I am _not_ talking about perspective here, I am talking
about where the icons should be facing to. For example, these two icons are
not facing in the same direction and I personally don't like that:
http://tango.freedesktop.org/static/cvs/tango-icon-theme/32x32/status/audio-volume-high.png
http://tango.freedesktop.org/static/cvs/tango-icon-theme/32x32/devices/audio-input-microphone.png

Here is a "live" example of how weird an application can look when its icons
are not facing at the same direction:
http://jokosher.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/jokosher-recordingview.png
(I am talking about the line-in and mic/guitar icons)

Back in the day BeOS looked uniformed because of its icons had the same
perspective, but also they were facing at the same direction:
http://www.smspower.org/maxim/16bit/custom/icons/beos.gif

I would love to see the same rule to apply to the Tango icons (just pick
left or right, I personally prefer left :-). I believe that will make one's
desktop look more uniform as the brain will recognize them faster because
the brain will be trained to scan icons in a certain way. If for example you
have 90 icons facing at the same direction, and 10 on the other, EVEN if
these 10 icons might be more good-looking than the 90 ones, the user will be
left with a weird feeling at the end. Simply because his brain would have to
use  that extra 3 calories of energy to scan them. ;-)

thx,
Eugenia