[Tango-artists] dialog-question and assorted other icons

Simon Otter simon at otter.se
Sat May 13 04:52:15 PDT 2006

On Sat, 13 May 2006 10:33:23 +0200, Taliessin Penfound
<tpenfound at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've had some free time to goof around in Inkscape recently, and I've
> made a few icons that seem relevant to Tango in some capacity that I'd
> like to hear comments on. A few of them are things I submitted earlier,
> but attached to a reply regarding the existence of a Windows port
> without any actual description, and only with 48x48 visible, and were
> thusly ignored. This time around, I'll save the bandwidth of the mailing
> list and point at a webpage instead:
> http://darkt.net/tango_creations.html
>
> Mainly, I'd like People Who Know What They're Talking About to take a
> look at my dialog-question icon; I think there ought to be different
> icons in Tango base to be displayed when you're asking the GUI how it
> wants things done versus when the GUI is asking you how you want
> something done (Gnome and WinXP make heavy use of this metaphor in
> dialogs). It's somewhat inspired by the dialog-question icon from
> gperfection2, the branch decision flowchart symbol used in several CS
> textbooks (too arcane?), and, of course, the current help-browser icon.
> Even if the symbolism is lost on a user not familiar with flowcharting,
> I think it's sufficiently differentiated in color and shape to be
> recognizable. A good explanation of why there isn't one will shut me up,
> though :)

I think they are pretty good although "preferences-desktop-remote-console"
isn't really all to convincing. The idea with a cord is good, but the
jacket sits so high and it makes it a little bit unrecognizable in small
sizes. Try putting the jacket in the middle left side of the globe.

The other ones are good, though I would want the dialog-question to be in
some kind of blue or more vibrant colour. I also noticed that the <48px
versions need better (darker) outlining. GJ anyway.

  S i m o n    O t t e r

  http://simon.otter.se/

  skurmedel at gmail.com
  simon at otter.se