[Tango-artists] Some Questions and Proposals for new Icons (how to contribute)

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Tue Sep 19 06:26:43 PDT 2006

Hi there Juergen!
Great to more Java apps using the tango-guidelines.

Juergen Key wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> First i 'd like to thank you all for having done such a splendid work on
> tango. At the weekend i switched over from the Java Look And Feel
> Graphics Repository gfx to tango and i have to say that im rather
> pleased with the result.
>
> As some of you might have guessed already, im writing an application in
> Java. Its a database frontend - but it does not end there...
>
> Anyway, while making the big decision to completely change the iconset
> used, there were a few questions id like to name here:
>
> 1. Would you kindly take a view at my first try of a tango icon - it is
> meant to stand for a data base, please find it attached

Database is a tricky metaphor, but searching around on google seems to
imply that a stack of metal plates are the most common metaphor for
that. Check
http://www.sunisoft.com/iconspack/images/addline_fresh%20database.jpg
and http://www.sharewareplaza.com/images/screenshot/28465.gif
> 2. I would find it more consistent if the Look of all the
> document-centric icons would be a little more consistent - as for
> example document-new and document-properties differ in their depiction
> of a sheet of paper...

You mean that document-properties in tango-icon-theme has text on it and
document-new don't, or  you referring to something else?
> 3. The icons for printing are rather grey-ish. This leads immediately to
> problems in Java-Swing apps, as the framework manages the graphic
> feedback to oint out that buttons are disabled. Swing sort of
> de-saturates the imagery. The current implementation of the print and
> print-preview icons are therefore almost identical when enabled and when
> disabled. Could we add a little more color here (and maybe to other ones
> having the same problem as well? Yes im aware that this question belongs
> to SWING, but hey, i thought id ask...

Hm, interesting. Could you provide a screenshot?

> 5 How about an icon just depicting "Edit mode"? I'd second the image for
> edit-find-replace here but without the lens?

We have a icon for edit in gnome-icon-theme following the guidelines
currently, but the action is not part of the naming-spec. You are free
to modify the icon in tango-icon-theme and ship it yourself as long as
you provide all sources for it and follows the licensing for it
(Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5, see
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/).
> Well that is a rather large first mail to write - i apologize for this
> and for my crude english - but im a german so thats rather expected of
> me im afraid...

Bah, my english is worse, and I curse more. :)
- Andreas