[Tango-artists] [Question] Tango icons and GPL

Patrick Niklaus patrick.niklaus at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 1 10:46:49 PDT 2007

Hi,
I'm from the Compiz Fusion (aka Beryl aka Compiz) project.

In our settings manager we use a quite big amount of icons, which use
the tango guildlines (or try to...) and are licensed under GPL but do
not contain any of your icons from the tango-icon-theme set yet.

It's quite obvious that there is a real duplication of work going on
since we had to create every part of the icons ourselves. So I asked
myself if it would be possible to use icons or parts of icons form the
Tango project (which are licensed under ShareALike 2.5) in our icon
set.
I already talked to some of you in IRC and they told me that it's not
possible to distribute ShareALike icons in a GPL project.

However I'm searching for a way how to solve this license problem. I
would really like to use some of your icons but how?

Since I only want to use specific icons (not the whole set), would it
be possible to relicense these icons in sense of dual-licensing them?
So you would have a GPL and ShareALike license for your icon, if that
is possible.

Regards,
Patrick