[Tango-artists] sync icon

David Jordan david_jordan at unc.edu
Sat Sep 1 08:21:11 PDT 2007

I am no artist, just a software developer. Though I did work on file
synchronization at one time...

Synchronization involves getting two (or more) things in sync, i.e.
equal in value. So here's an idea.

The center of the icon will be an equals sign, implying left and right
"operands" are equal. The left and right "operands" could be a
rectangle (arranged vertically) to symbolize two files. The equals sign
should be more prominent than the operands. That alone could represent
the status of being synchronized. Then to represent the activity of
synchronization, there would be arrows (just simple < and >) that would
be superimposed over (on top of) the equals sign, suggesting movement
of state between the two icons. This would be in a different color,
like red, which I think will appear visually as closer to the viewer
than the equals sign (which I'd make the dark blue against light blue
background. A very crude ASCII rendering of this would be something
like O<=>O, though again, the two arrows would be on top of the equals.

I won't be offended if this is rejected, I am just sharing an idea. Its
the most I can do for having such a great icon set to work with...

David Jordan
Research Associate, Bioinformatics Group
Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill NC 27599-7295
Ph: 919-966-3098