[Tango-artists] Am I allowed to distribute Tango icons in a MPL/LGPL/GPL user interface library?

Tod Liebeck tliebeck at nextapp.com
Tue Sep 11 21:22:30 PDT 2007

Hello,

I have a library distributed under the Mozilla Public License, GPL, and
LGPL (developer's preference) and was curious as to the feasibility of
using Tango icons in certain components of that library.  I'm more than
happy to attribute the Tango Project when I distribute the library code,
e.g., in the README/COPYING files and API specification of the library.
What I can't do is request that products which use the components of the
library make such an attribution, the library has to be distributed only
under MPL/LGPL/GPL licenses.

As a specific example of where they'd be used, the library includes a
web-based "rich text" editor that would use the icons in its toolbars.

I can certainly understand if what I'm looking to do here is not
compatible with the Creative Commons ShareAlike license, but if it is,
I'm eager to use these icons in my library.  In any case, thanks all for
your hard work...whether or not they can be used in this lib, my Ubuntu
desktop has never looked better!

Best
--Tod Liebeck
  NextApp, Inc.