[Tango-artists] Another License Enquiry

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Mon Sep 24 10:47:27 PDT 2007

Hi Mark,
Although IANALE, I have spent quite a lot of time over the past few weeks
discussing these licenses *with* lawyers.

Incorporating the icon into a Web site, shirt, or card would easily fall
under the CC-BY-SA license's definitions of Adaptation and Distribution.  As
such, you would be required to license the site design, shirt design, or
card design under CC-BY-SA or one of its equivalents.

As you pointed out, providing the attribution of the source of the icon
would be simple.  The decision as to whether you want to license the adapted
designs into which you incorporate the icon, on the other hand, might not be
so simple.  But the "SA" clause demands that.

If you find some CC-BY licensed artwork, it would be more easily
incorporated into other designs and logos.

What icon is it that you're interested in?
Nate

On 9/21/07, Ulisse Perusin <ulisail at yahoo.it> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
> IANAL, but I think it's not a problem to use a CC-By-SA artwork to print
> on the shirts or the cards, as you are not actually "sharing" it.
> At least you could print near the icon, in tiny letters, something like
> "(c)Tango Project" and/or mention the shirts, the buisness card and all
> the stuff you printed on the website.
>
> That was just my 2 cents
>

> Mark Unwin wrote:
> > First, thanks to all the people who contribute to the Tango icon set -
> > they rock, as do you.
> >
> > Second, can anyone tell me what issues there are, if I wish to use a
> > Tango Icon on a business card / polo shirt ? I am starting a company to
> > sell services based around OpenSource software, and would like to use
> > one of the Tango icons in my companies logo. Online, I can simply make a
> > license / attribution page, and am only too happy to do so. But what
> > about printed material ? Polo-Shirts, Business Cards, etc ? I can't
> > really put the licensing terms on those items.
> >
> > Can it be that I simply cannot use the icons for those purposes ? I
> > really hope not !!!
> >
> > In the meantime, I shall go research the CC-SA license. If I can find an
> > answer, will post back here, but any comments would be appreciated.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Mark Unwin.

> > Find what you want @ www.eBay.com.au. Make shopping exciting.
> > <
> http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Frover%2Eebay%2Ecom%2Frover%2F1%2F705%2D10129%2D5668%2D323%2F4%2F%3Fid%3D6&_t=763807330&_r=email_taglines_EBAY&_m=EXT

> --
> -- When There Are No Walls, You Need No Windows --
>    Linux user #393784 -- http://counter.li.org/
>    my blog - http://ulisse.wordpress.com

nathan.p.willis
nwillis at glyphography.com