[Tango-artists] icon request for VASSAL, the open-source boardgame engine

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Apr 1 05:16:35 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm one of the developers for VASSAL, an open-source engine for
boardgames. We're in the process of updating our user interface, and
as part of that we'd like to replace our set of icons (and our logo)
with something that looks modern and professional.

(Our website: http://www.vassalengine.org. If you go to "Modules",
you'll find hundreds of games for which VASSAL modules have been made.
These are mainly wargames, though there are also quite a few "Euro"
games as well.)

In order to minimize duplicated work, we were planning to use existing
(appropriately licensed) Tango-styled icons wherever possible. I've
already identified about a dozen which we can either use without
modification, or with modifications so minor that we can handle them
ourselves.

Presently, VASSAL uses about 20 icons which differ significantly from
anything I've been able to find. No one currently associated with the
project has the artistic ability to create these for us, which has been
frustrating. (I imagine this is what it's like for non-coders who want
a feature to be added to a program... We're completely stymied.)

Would anyone here be interested in helping us with some icons?

Thanks,

Joel Uckelman
VASSAL developer

--