[Tango-artists] Why cant Tango Icons be GPL ?

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Tue Apr 1 05:46:49 PDT 2008

Victor Westmann wrote:
> If so we would be able to use them in FileZilla... thing that cant
> happen today because of the creative commons license ou use.
>
> ;(

Hi Victor!
I wasn't able to figure out if Filezilla is using GTK+ or not, but
judging from the screenshots [1], it look like it is.
In that case, perhaps we could make Filezilla pick up icons for folders,
mimetypes etc. from the system icon theme.
That would make it use tango folders, network server, reload etc. when a
user have that selected as their system theme.
Regarding icons specific to filezilla, such as the tree-view, we could
probably look into creating those in tango-style and ship those with
Filezilla (using the same license as Filezilla of course).

1. http://filezilla-project.org/client_screenshots.php
- Andreas