[Tango-artists] Why cant Tango Icons be GPL ?

Sergio Lopes knitter.is at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 07:29:39 PDT 2008

>  (...)The most important part of the Tango Project is not the Tango Icon set
>  though, but the style guidelines.

I understand this, but for many developers what they see is an icon
set, the guidelines are very important and are what made the icons
real but, being a developer, I won't pay much attention to those
guidelines, I'll look into the final result and use that result to
benefit the users of my applications.

>  (...) As I said in my previous e-mail, icon theme lookup is
>  probably your friend, as it will bring you assessability  icons as a
>  bonus, as well as picking up the icons if your users are running any
>  special theme.

In Linux I believe theme lookup is an option, on Windows I can't even
imagine how that is done :), if it's possible or not I don't know,
unless you are using some platform, like GTK.

Thanks for the answer, I do understand the choice of licenses it just
stroke me as odd why the project started with such a license.

--
Best regards,

Sérgio Lopes