[Tango-artists] Icon naming theme and installers

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 01:27:42 PDT 2008

I'm developing PackageKit, and I'm trying to make it work well with
other package managers in the system. I'm having real problems with
icons.

At the moment I've got:

#define GPK_ICON_SOFTWARE_UPDATE		"system-software-update"
#define GPK_ICON_SOFTWARE_SOURCES		"x-system-software-sources"
#define GPK_ICON_SOFTWARE_INSTALLER		"system-software-install"
#define GPK_ICON_SOFTWARE_UPDATE_PREFS		"x-system-software-update-preferences"
#define GPK_ICON_SOFTWARE_UPDATE_AVAILABLE	"software-update-available"

Just for the installer, it appears we have a few names:

Tango: system-installer
gnome: system-software-install (old name?: system-software-installer)
Bluecurve: icon-install-software

I've attached a patch to fix this in the legacy mapping, but the issue
of the other icons is still valid. The other icons I'm sure need
standardising is:

* system-software-sources
* system-software-update-preferences

I'm also not sure why system-installer isn't present in
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html -- and I'm not sure where the latest cvs of icon-naming-spec is located.

On further investigation it appears that lots of the "Standard
Application Icons" are missing from the spec. If this is due to lack of
time, I can russle up some patches to remedy that if you wish.

The page at http://tango-project.org/Tango_Icon_Library#Download also
redirects to a domain parking website -- probably not what is wanted.

Anyway, please tell me what I need to do. At the moment I'm thinking of
just copying the icons and shipping them in the gnome-packagekit
tarball, but that is probably the wrong thing to do now we have the icon
naming spec.

Richard.