[Tango-artists] Wine Icon Refresh

Joel Holdsworth joel at airwebreathe.org.uk
Sat Jul 4 14:39:41 PDT 2009

> The only concern I have is that Win32 didn't have alpha support did
> it? Because as far as I know, only Vista+ have had icons with alpha.
> If you look at the edges of the orginal icons, you'll see that they
> all lack anti-aliasing. But other than that, looks good and it'd be
> nice for Wine to look less out of place under *nix based systems.

The good news is XP has it as well. When you have XP in 24 or 32-bit
depth you might notice the icons have antialiased edges, and small drop
shaddows. They're very subtle, because the icons are designed to look ok
if the shaddow is removed in the 8-bit or 16-bit screen depths, but it
is there.

See here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997636(loband).aspx

Anyway, even if only Vista+ had it, it'd be perfectly acceptable for
wine to adopt it. It's true to say though, that without alpha the tango
icons completely fail. That is why I've had to work quite hard patching
wine to not strip the alpha channel along the way. It's only once alpha
is properly supported that the new icons can be installed.