[Tango-artists] License of the ArtLibre set

Daniel Maleike d.maleike at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Mon Oct 26 07:45:50 PDT 2009

Dear Tango-Artists,

Im one of the developers of an application for working with 3D medical
images (http://mitk.org/wiki/Screenshots), which is available in
source code under a BSD-style license.

We know that our appliation is currently very inconsistent in its use
of icons and we would like to change that. Now we found the Tango icon
set, which looks really nice, comes with clear guidelines, and has a
suitable license.

For some application modules, the ArtLibre set (http://tango.freedesktop.org/ArtLibreSet
) contains useful icons. However, the license reads GPL. I am familiar
with the GPL for source code, but I do not know its implications on
icons and their use in applications.

My question is: are we able to use the ArtLibre icons in our BSD-
licensed application without changing the license of the application?
Or: is there any discussion going on regarding the licensing? Or: can
the iconset be licensed under different conditions for a specific
purpose such as ours -- then who would be responsible?

Thank you for any hints.

Kind regards,
Daniel