[Telepathy] Proposed standard MC API

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 09:29:43 PDT 2007

Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 at 14:20:21 +0100, George Wright wrote:
>> On Thursday 02 August 2007 14:06:24 Simon McVittie wrote:
>>> Is this meant to be: for each (key, value) pair in account_data,
>>> set that key in the account parameters to that value, leaving any keys
>>> not mentioned unchanged?
>> Undecided. I was thinking along the lines you're saying - only change those
>> keys which are mentioned and leave those not mentioned still there with the
>> old values. Is there any reason for wanting to do it another way?
>
> Well, whatever the semantics are meant to be, please describe them. The
> semantics I described are my best guess at what you meant.

Yes, Set is intended to replace the whole dictionary outright, whereas
Update is intended to replace only the given values. It might be worth
having a method to unset parameters, or an 'as: remove' on the Update
method, so you can both set and unset.

>>> This is Telepathy's Connection_Presence_Type enum, except with the
>>> addition of "Do Not Disturb". Can't we just add
>>> Connection_Presence_Type_Do_Not_Disturb to Telepathy and recycle that
>>> enum as-is in MC?
>> You'll have to speak to Rob about that. :)
>
> Rob: consider yourself spoken to :-P
>
> (George: did DND come from Decibel or Nokia-MC?)

Decibel re-uses Tapioca's presence enum, which has a busy value there,
and Nokia MC has DND. After some pondering in the office, we thought
they were roughly equivalent, and not worth having both. I don't mind
adding a busy or DND value to the classifications of Telepathy presence
types, if someone wants to make a patch.

> 	Simon

Regards,
Rob