[Telepathy] Proposed standard MC API

Xavier Claessens xclaesse at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 05:12:13 PDT 2007

Le vendredi 10 août 2007 à 13:01 +0100, Will Thompson a écrit :
> Naba,
>
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 02:32:21PM +0300, Naba Kumar wrote:
> > Everyone has his own idea of what service to use. You can't control what
> > your friends want. So you will eventually end up in a situation where
> > your work friends are distributed among different services. Same with
> > your personal members. There is really no concrete way to ensure all
> > your work friends would stay in one service (account A) and relatives in
> > another service (account B).
>
> As a counter-example, IBM internally uses Lotus Sametime.  So an IBM
> employee is pretty much guaranteed to have all their colleagues – and no
> personal contacts (excluding the overlap) – on a single account on a
> single service.
>
> I'm not sure how common internal IM servers are in other companies,
> though.

In that case just disable you personal account or don't set it up on
your office computer.

I'm not sure for a MC POV, but for an user-friendly-UI POV I won't
clutter the interface of Empathy for such rare usecases. That doesn't
mean the backend shouldn't be able to provide the feature for other more
power-user-oriented-ui... Personally I don't care :)

Xavier Claessens.