[Telepathy] Proposed standard MC API

Naba Kumar naba.kumar at nokia.com
Tue Aug 14 07:21:09 PDT 2007

Hi Sjoerd,

ext Sjoerd Simons wrote:

> Which makes you fall into the trap of deciding which chandler is best. If i got
> say 3 telepathy clients installed (GNOME, KDE, something else?).. Each will
> install their chandlers, so now a text channel comes in.... Which one should be
> started by the MC?

That same problem exists for mime-type handling and has been solved. We
can do something similar. If MC can not resolve the request to a unique
handler, either it picks up the one which has been set as 'default'
(somehow) or picks up anyone of them (it doesn't matter because all of
them are equally capable of handling the request).

> By explicitely telling the MC over dbus what the chandlers are (or in which dir
> they are) for you session your basically working around this problem.
>
> In practise i think there will always be a managing entity in the users
> session (for example a presence applet). So i don't think this is really an
> issue.

I think you still hit the problem with that approach. The managing
entity would need to figure it out.

> An extra question for the proposed API:
>
> Say i'm a happy empathy user and this being the future, so assume empathy does
> supports voip. And there is thus a chandler registered for VOIP by empathy.
>
> Now i start up some magicall sip specific (branded?) client.. Which wants to
> take over (all?) sip calls from empathy. And thus wants to install it's own
> chander that _overrides_ the current ones for SIP streamed media channels.

At least for protocol specific overrides, it can work (.chandler just
needs to mention specific protocols that MC should prioritize the
handler for). For prioritizing within the same protocol, I don't know. I
don't see the point either.

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba