[Telepathy] How to configure gabble manager file to work behind a firewall

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 04:25:11 PDT 2007

Zhu, Peter J wrote:
> Hi Rob,

Hi,

> telepathy-gabble really requires a https proxy setting rather than
> normal http proxy. So my enviornment doesn't meet it. But it might be
> deserved to add non-secure http proxy support. That should be easy if it
> can support http proxy setting.

This isn't really easy, to connect through a normal HTTP proxy means you
can't open a normal XMPP data stream, you have to use a gateway which
allows you to talk the XMPP protocol via HTTP GET/POST requests. This is
a seperate XEP and a seperate protocol (XEP-0124: Bidirectional-streams
Over Synchronous HTTP (BOSH),
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0124.html) and would need to be
supported  by our XMPP library, Loudmouth. It could probably be
implemented as a pluggable transport in Loudmouth 2. Feel free to look
into it...

> telepathy-mission-control reads both profile file and manager file.
> There are three types of storages for parameters, Gconf, Profile file
> and Manager file. Gconf is manipulated with mc_account_set_param_XX().
> mc_account_get_param_xx() can returen all three types storage with
> priority up from Gconf, ProfileDefault then to ManagerDefault and system
> proxy(for http-proxy-xx, https-proxy-xx). Note, while http-proxy-xx is
> supported by MC, it's NOT supported by gabble.

Right. The ManagerDefault values should *not* be sent to the connection
manager when RequestConnection is called. They are, by definition, the
default values the connection manager will use if you don't provide one.

> To make a connection to gabble, it reads parameter by
> mc_account_get_params() only from Profile and Manager file, missing
> Gconf. Here it seems to be a MC bug since MC supports read of system
> proxy.

This sounds like a regression, it certainly used to also get the gconf
proxy settings and pass them in. Perhaps you could look at fixing it and
submit a patch? The Nokia maintainers of Mission Control are active on
this mailing list.

> Thanks,
> Peter

Regards,