[Telepathy] My telepathy wishlist

Xavier Claessens xclaesse at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 04:23:13 PST 2007

Hello all,

Here is a list of things I would like to have in some way in the
telepathy spec to make gossip rox. I put everything I'm thinking about
here so i get not lost and if someone is looking for something to do he
can work on one of those points.

Those noted with a + are regression with the normal gossip, those with -
are to be better than normal gossip and those with * is telepathy
specific.

+ Contact information API.

- File transfer API.

+ Composing notification API (to know when the contact is writing
somehting)

+- Get a list of connected resources (jabber only ?) and eventually
select the one to who we want to send messages, something to let the
client overwrite the default CM policy for the "most available"
resource. For example it would be useful to send a message to the HOME
resource even if the contact is more available with the WORK resource to
not disturb him in his work.

* Get an existing connection. Client do not know the CM policy to create
unique dbus object path so it can't know if for a set of parameter there
is an existing connection. In the other hand CM shouldn't force the
client to reuse an existing connection maybe the client consider that
having ssl enabled/disabled is a reason to not reuse that connection...
So the only way I see is having a function like GetExistingConnection
that returns a dbus object that may be used, the client should call
something like GetParameters to see which parameters this connection is
using. If it's ok the client use that connection, otherwise the client
has to disconnect it first and then request a new connection.

+ Gabble has only https server/port parameter for proxy, normal gossip
seems to use http login/pass/server/port... Maybe gabble should have
more parameters here ? Gossip uses GNOME proxy settings.

- Rename and remove a contact group. Actually to rename a group gossip
creates a new one, add all members of the old group to it and remove all
members from the old one. For removing a group maybe the CM should
remove it from the server if all members are removed and emit Closed
signal on that channel ?

+ More features for chatrooms, like get/set topic, get contact
role/affiliation, etc.

That's all I see for now, comments are naturally welcomed ;-)

Xavier Claessens.