[Telepathy] When is their phone ringing (was: Group interface usage?)

Pekka Pessi ppessi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 14:59:17 PDT 2007

2007/7/24, Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 at 15:33:23 +0300, Pekka Pessi wrote:
> > On traditional telephony the media channel is activated when the
> > remote end is alerting (so you can hear the ringing tone). So
> > initially the audio stream will have both remote and local pending
> > flags set. Alerting / 180 Ringing progress indication would then clear
> > the remote pending flag and Call confirm / 200 OK the local pending
> > flag.
>
> Perhaps we could use this useful information in a later version of the
> Streamed Media spec, but for the moment we can't: local pending and
> remote pending are not flags, they're effectively states, part of the
> generic group-channel semantics. A contact can only be local-pending or
> remote-pending in a particular channel, not both.

I was referrring to the Media_Stream_Pending_Remote_Send in the
pending_flags param of the signal StreamDirectionChanged  in the
StreamedMedia channel. I'm afraid that my recollection of the
pending_flags usage was not right and my N800 is left in office..

But I think that the idea is that when placing a call - and if there
is an audio stream towards the remote user - the initial
StreamDirectionChanged would have Media_Stream_Pending_Remote_Send in
the pending_flags. When the 180 Ringing is received, the remote user
is able to send to the audio stream and the pending_flags is cleared.

In the same manner, when there is an incoming call, there would be
Media_Stream_Pending_Local_Send in the audio stream towards the
caller. When that is cleared with RequestStreamDirection method, a 180
Ringing is sent to the caller?

However this fails if there is no audio in the StreamedMedia session.

Pekka.Pessi mail at nokia.com