[Telepathy] Spec for file-transfer and tubes

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 09:40:27 PST 2007

Ar 07/03/2007 am 23:19, ysgrifennodd Mads Chr. Olesen:
> Hi all!
>
> Following the discussion at #telepathy this evening, I have updated
> smcv's spec proposal a little, to more or less follow the thoughts in
> the wiki at http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Tubes .
>
> My darcs branch is at http://www.cs.aau.dk/~mchro/telepathy-spec.tubes/

Wow, thanks for drawing this up.

I've put it into Merge Monkey for easy review:

http://projects.collabora.co.uk/~monkey/telepathy-spec.tubes/

Initial thoughts:

 - StatusChanged says that the new state can be one of
   LocalPending/RemotePending/Open. In practice, the tube will always begin
   its life in either LocalPending/RemotePending, and will either get approved
   or rejected, so in practice you'll only see StatusChanged(Open).

   The events we really need to represent are Accepted, Rejected, Opened and
   Closed.

 - The scheme for approving IP connections using the bus is cunning, but I'm
   not sure if it's practical. If you're pointing your VNC client at a TCP
   socket provided by the connection manager, how do you know which port it's
   going to connect from?

 - I'm not keen on the Ready() method, as only one client can call it. I'd
   prefer a ListTubes method so that any client can recover the state of the
   channel. This allows different clients to decide whether they want to
   handle an incoming tube.

 - In the tube type enum, I think we're better off saying "D-Bus" rather than
   "DTube".

 - Rather than giving tubes an "application name", wouldn't it be better to
   give them a "protocol" or an "interface" or just a "type"? The name of the
   implementation is not really what matters.

More comments as I think of them.

Discussing this in the office, we've realised we're not really clear about how
multi-user tubes should work. The OLPC folk have told us they'd like to have
it, but we don't really understand how it would be used, so we'll discuss it
with them and see what falls out.

--
Dafydd