[Telepathy] ContactInfo API

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 05:30:33 PDT 2007

Hi guys,

I started to write a first draft of a new ContactInfo API.
http://projects.collabora.co.uk/~monkey/telepathy-spec-contact-info/

Some points than we need to discuss about it.

- Currently I named this new interface
"org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.Interface.ContactInfo2"
What's our policy about API stability? As the old ContactInfo interface
is completely deprecated maybe we could drop it and reuse its name?

- Which information fields do we want to expose in our interface? We
definitely have to choose a subset of the vcard-temp spec [1]. I made a
first pre selection mainly based on those chosen by gajim.

- How should we expose these fields in the interface? Currently it uses
a simple dictionary {string key -> value}.
Rob suggest we could add an enum which can be set to 0 for "general", 1
for HOME, 2 for WORK... and so use something like that:
a(usv), eg (HOME "street" "bla road") (WORK "street" "foobar road")
With this solution we'll have cleaner key names but it's a little bit
more complicated.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

	G.

[1] http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0054.html